View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I am a ridiculously huuuuuge fan, but since forever I've heard that Willie Mays is the absolute rudest human being on the planet to his fans. For this reason, I have never taken the opportunity to meet him at a show that he was appearing at (uh oh, misuse of a preposition?). This way, the player, the legend will forever stay beautifully intact in my mind, uncorrupted by the butchery of reality.
Sad to say, because it should not have to be this way, but this is extremely wise. Keep Say Hey at a distance, and keep enjoying him and his amazing baseball skills. I still have this several-second video clip in my mind of an outfield play at Candlestick Park. A surefire double or triple hit ball looked like it was going to careen off the outfield fence. Two Giant fielders are trying to get the ball. All of a sudden here comes Willie Mays flying in. You talk about Mr. Jordan in the air. E-gad! Ballet at five feet in the air. Willie caught the ball before it hit the fence. It was flat-out one of the greatest catches I ever saw.

This is why, a decade and a half before he made this play, the great actress and fellow Alabamian Tallulah Bankhead said there were two geniuses in history---Willie Shakespeare and Willie Mays.

---Brian Powell