Thread: Hank Aaron
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I recently acquired an Aaron 1970's store model Louisville Slugger that is in nearly perfect shape. It was not my primary purchase but was included with something else. I would love to have Aaron sign it.

Aaron is sort of an enigma to me - as a kid he was one of my favorite hitters, along with Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Frank Howard. To us kids, the Aaron card was as sought-after as Mays or any other player after Mantle, and that was well before Aaron passed Ruth. I lived near Houston and we saw the Braves play a lot. Everyone seemed to be at the game to see Aaron (and the Astros) - I never heard anything negative. Yet Aaron has had plenty of bad words for the South and Texas, among other things. I'm sure he didn't imagine the negativity, but I was never too happy with his lumping all of us together.
Same here. We'd always make sure to include an Atlanta game each year from 1970-1975 when the braves came to play the Dodgers, just to see Hank play. He was my favorite active player followed by Willie Mays and Wes Parker. Fast forward to 1989-today and both Mays and Aaron have been two of the rudest, surliest autograph signers I've ever seen. I've seen them both on multiple occasions (I've been, and always will be, very respectful at signings...yes sir, thank you sir, etc) so it wasn't just one or the other having a bad day. They both seem to lump everyone in to the same boat, so I finally decided to jump out of the boat and not get anything else signed by them.