View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
I have this one paperbound booklet thing that sensationalizes the plane crash he was killed in, by claiming it was mysterious or something...I'd have to dig it out but point is, all this stuff show how popular he was.

I think this is the booklet Carlton is referencing. It's a hilarious read...raising all sorts of questions about the cause of the wreck. After providing lurid descriptions of the crash scene and the condition of Rockne's body, it finally builds to the this thrilling climax:

"In gathering all the comments upon this tragic accident, the author of this book has talked with scores of fliers, eyewitnesses and investigators.

Two causes for the plane wreck have never even been mentioned in the public press, yet men versed in flying all over this country are discussing -- NOT FOR PUBLICATION -- their real, secret opinions...

They say that either the plane was unfit to fly and that weakened parts gave way without warning, to send the plane plunging in its death dive, or ---

The plane had been deliberately tampered with so that it would lose part of its wing!"

It goes on to say that since the plane was less than two years old with a relatively small number of flying hours, then "only one explanation remains: Someone tampered with the plane!"

"The reader is left to judge for himself."

I imagine most of them judged they'd wasted a quarter.

The 32-page booklet is filled with many unusual photos of the crash site and the funeral and a summary of Rockne's career. Well worth the quarter today!