View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Hey guys,

A few years back I wrote a letter to Carl Erskine asking if I could have the chance to meet with him maybe over breakfast and talk about baseball (his time with the Dodgers, World Series, Jackie, his books, etc.). He wrote me back and said that he would love to meet up for breakfast, but with life moving ever so fast (college graduation, marriage, new home, children) I never had the chance to meet with him.

Well, a few weeks back I decided to write him again and ask if the offer still stood. He responded today with a simple note containing directions to an IHOP in Anderson, Indiana and his phone number to call this week to setup a time.

Some of you know that I have been working on a collection of the 1955 World Series (Dodgers and Yankees) and am near completion. I cannot wait to talk to Carl about the World Series in detail. Words cannot even describe how excited I am to get this opportunity to meet with one of the great guys in baseball.

I wanted to also open this thread up for anyone else who may have some memorable stories of time they spent with a baseball great. I know Jim has shared some great stories and would love to hear from everyone else.
Great stuff James. Definately look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Tom C