Thread: Yasiel Puig
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
White Salmon?! I may know who you're talking about... might it be Brandon Verley? Try to make it to as many Cascade ballgames as I can and remember his (2003?) Columbia High team.

Puig seems to be making a big splash in LA, much like Trout last season. Probably single-handedly will save Mattingly's job.

Hope everything is going well Mike.
Hi Ty,
It's a very small world isn't it? Yes it was Brandon Verley. He was a sight to behold in the box. He was destined for first base as he was not much of an outfielder, but my God he was an absolute savant at the plate. At that time he was actually more impressive than Travis Snider. It's a really a shame he did not get to enjoy his talents at the highest level. The last time I saw him play he was walked intentionally three times despite his team being behind by seven runs. In his last at bat every scout in the stands looked into the opposing dugout at the coach. He then nodded to the pitcher. The pitcher challenged him with a fastball that was hit into the trees about 450 feet away. I have never seen a ball hit that hard. It left the park much like a golf ball stuck by a driver. The area scout I worked with looked at me and said, "That is a major league hitter. He knew that representatives from 20 MLB teams were in the stands. He was given only one pitch to earn his money and performed when it mattered most". I scouted for the Reds for a couple of more years before moving onto the Indians for a season and then the Nationals. It was a lot of fun for about five years and then life got in the way and I had to give it up.

Thanks for asking, I am doing well. Ironically, my friend who I donated my kidney to last month was the scout that took me to see Brandon Verley. He is doing fantastic. Recovery has been hell for me but when I see how well my friend is doing it is worth the pain and drama. There are few times in life when you afforded the chance to make an impact on someone's life in a positive life changing manner. I was blessed with that opportunity and remain grateful for it.

Mike