View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
I use a combination of all the methods above. I prefer binders because of how easy they are to flip through, but agree that they can be risky. I use them for sets like my '80 Topps set. Great to look through and low risk on anything that gets damaged.

For higher end collections, I use the use the semi-rigid and vault box method that vintagetoppsguy described. I find myself moving that way more and more because of the combination between safety and ease of storage (binders take up more space if you insist on laying them flat which is the only way I'll do it).

Here's a question for you VintageTopps (or anyone else) - do you use penny sleeves before you put them in the semi-rigid? I've had this discussion with a lot of people and can't get consensus. Most collectors I know use the smaller holders and no penny sleeve. While I like how that looks, I worry about the semi-rigid holders not being archival quality with no pvc/acid. I use the larger semi-rigids with a penny sleeve, which still fit in the large vault boxes. Anyone else use the penny sleeve first?
I use the penny sleeves first and then into Card Saver 1's. I have a small collection and that is how all my baseball cards are stored. My football sets and couple team sets I have are in penny sleeves and then in top loaders.

I enjoy being able to hold each card individually so the Card Savers are great. Plus, again, I have a small collection as compared to many on here.