Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'll have to check that story out. I heard Moneymaker was broke within a year or two of winning. He had backers even for the online satellite, so he only got to keep a mil or so and lost all that sports betting. These were just rumors from other players but I had heard it enough to believe it.

I ran into him in the elevator on the way to play in the ME in 2005 and talked to him for a minute. He seemed friendly. Never played with him though. I heard he offered Farha a split when he had a 2 to 1 chip lead and Farha still said no.
The part about the chop offer to Farha is in the book. Moneymaker offered Farha an even chop while they were in the bathroom during a break while heads up. Farha counteroffered with a ridiculous offer that gave him nearly first-place money and Moneymaker declined the offer.

One of the shocking things to me about the book was that Howard Lederer actually surfaced following the Full Tilt debacle to offer comments on the 2003 Main Event and playing against Moneymaker. Dutch Boyd, Lederer and Farha all commented in the book that Moneymaker is a nice guy, but played terribly.

Another great part of the book was Phil Ivey discussing the ridiculous boat over boat hand against Moneymaker that knocked him out of the Main Event in 10th. Ivey called Barry Greenstein after getting knocked out and told Greenstein that he would not believe the beat that knocked him out of the Main Event. Greenstein replied that Ivey should have folded to Moneymaker's bet post-flop. Ivey was so shocked by the beat that he collected his winnings, then drove cross country straight through to New Jersey.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.