View Single Post
Old 05-06-2023, 06:08 AM

My time in this hobby predates the TPAs. I've also worked as a TPA and ultimately left that to deal in autographs. I miss the pre-TPA era, where much more emphasis was placed on personal responsibility and knowledge. Forcing us to fend for ourselves, it made us stronger and more independent. The reputable dealers were honorable if something they sold later turned out to be amiss. You quickly learned who to deal with and who to avoid, and it was your own damned fault if you continued to roll the dice with dealers of questionable repute.

Since leaving the TPA end of the industry many years ago, I've had practically no need of their services. I can sell my material without slabs, stickers and LOAs. Granted, the majority of what I deal in is not your usual Mantle/Williams/DiMaggio/Jeter, etc. I'm not suffering as a result of not spending undue funds for outside opinions; I'm perfectly comfortable with my own thoughts and feelings on the subject, thanks very much.

Granted, when it comes to big ticket, HOF items, you're going to maximize your potential profit by utilizing the services of a TPA. In those cases, the no-brainer solution is to simply talk to a sampling of your favorite auction houses to see who can make you the best offer for the sale of your material and cost to you (if any) for TPA authentication. Leave it to them and wash your hands of the often-convoluted, costly and lengthy TPA process when done on your own. Sit back and wait to collect your check after the auction. Keep it simple and keep costs and headaches down!