View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 10:55 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I like Orlando, but he doesn't know what he's talking about in that video. The stain was always there. You can see it in the before photo. The images he posted for before and after just use drastically different settings for contrast, brightness, exposure, etc.

At one point, he holds the PSA graded copy next to the SGC copy and claims that any color differences they have are due to "chemicals" being used on the card (nevermind the fact that the one he claims was altered actually has *better* color). This is of course nonsense. Then he starts talking about how if the stain was present when PSA graded it then they would have given it a 2 and not a 6. Again, this is nonsense and demonstrates remarkable ignorance of PSA's grading standards. They regularly assign 6s to stained cards even to this day. I could post numerous examples of them.

Most cards that were removed from scrapbooks like this one were simply removed with water. If the glue is water soluble, it will come out easily with just water. No "harsh chemicals" necessary. If the glue is not water soluble, then you would need a solvent that is so harsh that it would destroy the card.

Furthermore, this claim that we don't know the long term effects of soaking cards and that it poses serious risks is also nonsense. People have been soaking cards for more than a century. There is a long established history of the effects of soaking cards. There are millions of soaked cards in slabs. Properly cleaning and soaking cards preserves them. It does not destroy them. There is an entire field dedicated to the preservation and safe restoration techniques of paper artifacts.
There are no before and after pictures shown in the video. He bought it with no stain visible And the stain came back after several years. We don't know the long term effects of soaking cards with chemicals. Of course I know plain water has always and always will be fine for cards.

I know you can chemically preserve paper properly.
Kurt's card care isn't the Library of Congress, Does he know what he's doing with his formula? You decide. I would also add preservation of paper chemically is almost always manuscripts and other extremely thin documents. Not colored card stock. I don't think the hall of fame museum is taking in 1880s scrapbook cards and soaking them in kcc.

Clearly he has them side by side, one soaked with water and one soaked with chemicals and they are extremely different looking. And the water soaked looks exactly the same as the card that never touched water.

I'm talking with someone who openly does this to cards. So I wouldn't expect you to take my side.
Shame that Gherig wasn't an easy Kcc job and just had a little stain that you could've soaked chemically and turned into a 3 and resold it for $2000 more without saying anything.
Edit: seeing you said you'd never sell it on the other thread. We all know every collection goes to the grave! Lol.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 04-17-2024 at 10:58 AM.