View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry

I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk