View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Todd Schultz

Default All good here

VENUE
I was very impressed with Baltimore and the venue, having never seen either before. It was my favorite of the National venues I've visited thus far, and although as a city Chicago may have more going for it, Baltimore had so much right there within walking distance that you would have to make an effort to have a bad time. I stayed at the Sheraton, about a 50 yard catwalk to the Convention Center. It was about a block from the Inner Harbor, with plenty of restaurants (Morton's was in my hotel), bars and shops, where they had outdoor live music on Saturday and throngs of folks just strolling around---nice police presence too. A little more than a block the other way was Camden Yards (the Hilton is closer), where I took in a game Friday night and part of a game Thursday--we went on a whim and paid a $10 "late arrival" charge to see the game from the bottom of the 6th to the end. It was 0-0 when we were buying our tix and ended 5-4, so plenty of action. I spent about 20 hours at the Show throughout my stay, and wanted to do other things. Surely there is so much more in the surrounding area, but even the few square blocks where I went were well worthwhile. Also, there were at least a half dozen hotels within walking distance of the convention cnter. Bring it on back here again, I say.

Board members

I really enjoyed meeting several board members and reacquainting with others. Time was too short as always, but I got to knock back a few plus a few more and then some more at the Hilton after the Friday night game, where I shot the breeze with a dozen or so of you all. Wouldn't mind the return of the Net54 board dinner though, hint hint.

Show/Dealers

I thought the show was about the same as the other Nationals I've attended. There was a lot of ebay inventory present and not marked down. Prices were high to ridiculous for the most part, and haggling was expected. One guy actually raised his price on a Roush I wanted--on Sunday no less. Action built up every day until Sunday, by which time many dealers had left as is SOP. There were plenty of items to look at, and it's always cool to take a gander at the very high end stuff and full/near set lots that are part of the upcoming auctions. My purchases were not numerous and I bought no collection centerpiece, but I was pleased overall with what I snagged.

One story that amused me. I found a stack of low-mid grade m101 blank and common backs, all slabbed. Only one card was not marked, a common player with Standard Biscuit back graded SGC 50. This card should go in the $100-$120 range, give or take. Anyway, when I asked the seller for a price, he looked it over and said $120. I took out the cash and paid him, then hovered around. The three "sellers" behind the table immediately huddled and whispered, then reached for a SCD big book. I stood nearby with a slight smirk on my face, as it appeared to me that they were worried they had been taken on some difficult variation that they let go cheap. One of them looked at me and then seemed even more troubled by my smile- I mean I hadn't asked for the obligatory 10-20% discount- and I don't think they could remember the player on the card to even look him up properly. Now that transaction probably cost me $10-15 by not haggling, but the experience itself was priceless.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-09-2010 at 10:56 AM.