View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Default Dug these balls out of the closet last week.

Looking for opinions on quality and value, I've had them in my closet for the past 25 years.

The little story I have so far is that my great-grandfather was a businessman in the Toledo area and was quite involved with the Mudhens organization and baseball in general.

The well worn ball supposedly has a bunch of the Mudhens signatures on it, but his grandsons (my father and uncles) actually used the ball quite a bit, hence the wear and tear. I imagine my sentimental value would be more than its monetary value.

The Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson ball is a bit more of a mystery, I don't have a story on that. Going to my cousin's wedding in a couple of weeks and I'll ask my grandmother if she knows more about its origin.

Does a story matter much? Can't think it does unless there is proof somewhere. (association, ownership, name in print, etc)

I took them to a couple of dealers in the local area and they wouldn't even entertain making an offer to me of a non-PSA/JSA authenticated ball. Not sure if its worth the extra money to authenticate both signatures or just Ruth's.

There is a bit of a family sentimentality attached to them, but not enough that I wouldn't sell.

Thank you for any opinions.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MudhensCropped.jpg (71.2 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Mudhens2cropped.jpg (70.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Mudhens3cropped.jpg (70.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg RuthJohnsoncropped.jpg (70.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg RuthJohnson5cropped.jpg (71.8 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by mtcurtin; 09-10-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: didn't put my first name at the end