View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Thinking about calling it a day on collecting.

No, guys this is not a boy who cried wolf post. I have been collecting since September 1972 and almost exclusively pre-WWII since 1989. I don't know if it is because I am getting a little older or that I have seen just about every kind of card-except a few in Olbermann's collection-but the high has dulled a little. I also just don't like the way the hobby is going. A newer, smaller in number generation is coming in and although I do not have anything against new blood which is essential for this hobby, it is the smaller number that concerns me. Fame is fleeting would be the best analogy.

It also just the prices are out of alignment with reality. I include myself in this observation. If you look at eBay, the same cards are constantly on there, but every now and then a card will pique my interest. Of course, it also piques the interest of auction groups who then sell it in there auctions plus buyer's premium of anywhere from 12.5% to 20+%. Not whining, but even if you beat the auction groups in the bid, you pay an inflated value.

Part of collecting is enjoying what you have and part of it, frankly is investing. The investing part for me is overshadowing the collecting and I am a collector and I have always known that if it got to that point, it may be time to get out.

Admittedly, I haven't decided, but the excitement has waned.