View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This is my other love and I can tell you these prices on anything in the Pop Movement will become the norm for coming future.

The Gen X collectors started embracing this as they became more monied and the Millennials jumped on. I was lucky enough to grab a Robert Dowd study two years ago for a pittance at an auction house as they strangely put it in a philatelic auction. I have been offered 10 times the purchase price already and I am holding.

Found a poorly listed Robert Broner signed circuit print on eBay just a few months ago. An accidental find of an artist featured in The Met and MoMA is something else. The finds are out there if you know what to look for.
I too collect art -- only original oils and more bc I love the picture than for appreciation (I bet 90% of my 200+ originals are worth no more than 20% of what I paid for them, with a few home runs thrown in). I don't understand Pop art at all... And while Basquait is iconic, I dont understand how his work brings those price tags when compared to Rockwell, let alone some of the old impressionists.

To me, the value of pop art is akin to modern cards vs pre-war cards - I just dont get it. I have digested but still dont really understand why/how a 52 Topps Mantle 3 is worth more than a T206 Speaker Drum back PSA 1, the latter of which is basically non-existent and the former of which are all over the place. Just saying....

Regarding art -- be careful. Its more ruthless than cards, and they have their share of painting doctors, bid shillers and all around frauds. The one thing we have that the art world does not is good'ol Battlefield!!