View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I know, I know...

Back in '89 I was 12 and of course after the original "FF" card as all of us were. Never did get one because by the time the error was discovered, all the LCS's were hoarding them. So going into Christmas that year, I didn't have one. A few weeks before, we made a trip up to PA to see my grandparents - and the trip included a stop at my Dad's high school buddy's place. This guy had a collection of like a thousand rare beer cans in his basement, and knew I liked baseball cards. He had gotten me a wax box of '89 Fleer as a gift, and guess what - he bought it like months and months before - before everyone knew about the FF card. I sat right there in his basement and opened up all those packs, and sure enough - I got an FF Ripken. My Dad and his buddy (who were none the wiser when I started opening the packs) looked at the card and laughed like hell.
Great story. I opened cases of them back in the day with my younger brother. Our Mom worked at a place that gave the employees 20 or 25% off. They would sell the cards to us at cost and then we got the discount. So we opened a ton of wax back in the junk era.