View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Something to Chew On

Nellie Fox outchewed Hack Wilson. His left cheek is a childhood memory of mine. It is surprising to me that his cause of death is reported as lymphatic or skin cancer, possibly not related to the ubiquitous wad in his cheek. However, the information regarding his cause of death is not clear. Melanoma would be the most likely skin cancer to cause widespread lymphatic involvement referred to in several sources, but I cannot find a reference to melanoma related to Fox anywhere. The "skin" cancer references may be a cover up for a primary tumor in the lining of his cheek, buccal mucosa, which would clearly be linked to the tobacco. Oral cancer can spread to lymph nodes in the neck and beyond and once widespread can be fatal. Therefore I strongly suspect that his cause of death was related to the chewing tobacco. I do not agree with Nellie's endorsement of the product below.

Interestingly Nellie passed away weeks before his 48th birthday. Hack Wilson on the other hand died at the age of 48 after his 48th birthday of pneumonia and a cerebral hemorrhage. He had a drinking problem in his playing days and was not the picture of health after his playing days and died penniless.

So from a medical and lifestyle point of view, I guess Hack wins by a few months, even if he did strike out more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050515-15-MLB-Nellie-Fox-OB-IA.vadapt.620.high.11.jpg (59.4 KB, 98 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-25-2015 at 06:44 AM.