View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Autograph Authentication issues...happy to be back posting :-)

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

King,

He didn't solicit me. I just happened to be walking by his booth and something just clicked. I tell you what, if he did solicit me and that happened then you're right, he'd be a total jerk (worst than that). Quite honestly, he seemed like a nice enough person.

DJ,

I wish I was there when that guy got the Banks autograph. That's just too funny.

Overall, I can't complain too much because at least I wont be selling it as a Lou Gehrig autograph. I tell you what, I'd feel like crap if I sold this thinking it was real and later found out it is what it is... Spence could be wrong but I wouldn't bet money on it because he's been around enough to know the ropes and the basics of these autographs.

I suppose it would have been a nice gesture if he were to have given me credit for future authentication(s) but I wouldn't have much use for it because I usually don't collect autographs unless they are on checks, documents or contracts. I do have a few pieces from the old show days that I kind of feel the same way as the guy with the Banks autograph... I saw the players sign the thing so why bother with the authentication. I think I'd go off on someone if they were to call one of those pieces into question. The sad part is that I'd have a difficult time selling one of those pieces unless I paid one of those guys to authenticate what I already know.