View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
I'm a big Feller and Koufax guy. Like Spahn and would add Herb Score who has 2 great Topps base cards.

Feller: 1950B and 1953B are fantastic shots. In lower grades, these are reasonably priced

Koufax: 1963 Fleer is good. The 1965 World Series card is a personal favorite ("Koufax Fans 15"). But for Topps base cards, other than 1956, there aren't a lot of action (though I love the 1965T pose, which you can also find on the 1964 Topps Giants)

Spahn: 1951B is a great shot, though it's stylized. Made the Mike Payne "Top 300 Cards of all time" book

Have you considered Herb Score? Fireballer who's career was cut short but led AL in Ks a few times. His 1956 is great, 1957 is good, and they are both moderately priced

Lastly, Bell Brand and Morrell Meats Koufax shots are some of my favorite cards of all, but expensive and scarce
Good calls, Mike. I have been looking at those Koufax, Spahn, and Feller issues. There is some nice, moderately priced material there, both regular and regional/team issue. You raise a good point in saying the '51 Bowman Spahn is "stylized." With the exception of some of the Exhibitis, many of the "action" shots of pitchers are staged. However, I still like them. They often put the uniform and stadium background on display. I am finding a few shots, however, that are legit action shots and they are really nice. I haven't considered Score to this point, but down the road I might.