View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
A really fun read, thanks. Just curious about the economics of this? For example, how much is the Oil Can Boyd card worth? Did it pay for a good part of the total purchase?

And no....I do not have any desire to start a new addiction...just curious.

Thanks,

Jeff
I originally paid like $99 for mine last year, but now I see a couple on ebay for slightly less. Until last year, the only place I had ever even seen one is on the junk wax site. I think this version is really rare. For example, I got the Whiten hand over border easily on ebay, and the Drabek white border with no problem, and I think those are fairly hard to come by.

It is really hit or miss. Sometimes (often, at least in my case) you get nothing. You really have to search the whole lot. Once I bought a couple of cases of random cards from a guy out in the middle of nowhere. The whole lot was worthless, except for ONE card. I got the Chris Hoiles white border card, and it was worth more than I paid for the whole lot. Another time, I bagged (what turned out to be) a PSA 8 Jeter SP rookie.

In my opinion, a lot of it is about the thrill of the chase, and the little rush you get when you pull out something awesome. For me, it is even BETTER when I get some cards that someone else already looked through (like in this case), and I still find something amazing.
Others might have a different reason for it though.