View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Bob M

Default 1946 Hearst Diamond Pennant Series (Hearst Sandlot Classic)

I have not been able to positively identify the year of the red US All Star jersey shown in an earlier post (still looking for a 1958 program and images from that year's game—thanks in advance for any leads).

Meantime, recently came across this 1946 US All Star flannel from the inaugural Hearst Diamond Pennant Series (aka Hearst Sandlot Classic).

Herb Adams was the starting pitcher that day at the Polo Grounds (August 15, 1946) for the US All Stars. He no hit the NY All Stars over the 3 shutout innings that he pitched while wearing the jersey. Adams would later play for the Chicago White Sox during 1948-1950 before serving time in the Korean War.

Hall of Famer Ray Schalk was coach of the US team that year. While "Rabbit" Maranville led the NY All Stars. Picture shows southpaw Herb Adams to the right of Schalk.

Net54 member Alan Colen has numerous informative and well written articles on the 20 year history of the Hearst All Star Classic that can be found online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946HearstUSA.jpg (78.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 1946HearstProgram.jpg (73.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 1946HearstSchalkAdams3.jpg (79.2 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by Bobmc; 05-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.