View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 02:17 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Oh man, how can anyone follow the burlesque girl waving the O's pennant in downtown Baltimore....

Here goes. Here's a picture taken at game #1 of the 1916 World Series, Brooklyn (NL) at Boston (AL)--although the game was played at Braves Field rather than Fenway to accommodate a bigger crowd. The woman on the far right is the wife of one of the principal owners, Ed McKeever. Before her and her entourage are no less than five Brooklyn pennants. As far as I know, only one has survived the past 100+ years: the blue "BROOKLYN" + batter pennant shown below (in the photo, it's hiding in the second row, between the ladies in front).

The pair of "BROOKLYN" + crossed bats pennants I've never seen anywhere before; and the same goes for the pair of identical 1916 National League Champion "Dodgers" pennants hanging from the railing. I have, however, seen their Red Sox mate. The 1916 sox version is shown below. It appears to be a higher quality version of the Brooklyn one in that it is two-piece and multicolored. (I suspect the Brooklyn version was hastily thrown together at the season's end, when time was limited.)

If anyone owns or has seen either of these this century, I imagine it'd be someone following this thread.

(For a higher resolution photo, see: https://loc.gov/pictures/resource/gg...?loclr=blogpic )
Holy mackerel ... what would that white 1916 Dodgers pennant fetch in auction? I’d guess $20K