View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default So, who do you think the NL committee will elect?

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Paul,

Here are the cards of the various candidates who were discussed, so far as I'm aware:

Pete Hill - Cabanas, Punch (allegedly)
Biz Mackey - Aguilitas Segundas
Crisotbal Torriente - Billiken, Nacionales, Tomsa Gutierrez (two different cards), Segundas
Willard Brown - 48/49 Toleteros, 49/50 Toleteros, 50-51 Toleteros, 50/51 Denia, 50's Dominican
Raymond Brown - 45/46 Caramelo Deportivo, 50/51 Denia
Chet Brewer - 49/50 Toleteros
Oliver Marcelle - Billiken, Tomas Gutierrez, Mallorquina
Dick Lundy - Aguilitas Segundas
Grant Johnson - Punch (allegedly), perhaps a Cabanas
Jose Mendez - Punch, Billiken, Nacionales, Segundas, Tomas Gutierrez, perhaps a Cabanas
Nip Winters - Billiken
Oms - Billiken, Aguilitas Artisticas, Aguilitas Segundas, Nacionales, Tomas Gutierrez
Tetelo Vargas (I don't think he has much of a shot) - all of the Toleteros issues
Bruce Petway - Cabanas, Punch (allegedly)

When I say allegedly, that only means that the Punch set is so rare that I've seen scans of two, including Mendez, have never seen one in person, and am told the others actually exist but cannot verify that from independent knowledge.

I think the Pete Hill card is probably worth more than the Selee simply because he was a player, not a manager. Insofar as NL excecutive/manager/owner types are concerned, I think J.L. Wilkinson (Monarchs owner), Effa Manley, Dave Malarcher and C.L. Taylor have some chance, albeit long. None of them have cards so far as I know. I have something, not a photo, not a card, (maybe a premium? - not sure) of Bill Wright. He doesn't have a card that I'm aware of. Neither do the rest of the candidates discussed, although there is a RPPC of Jud Wilson (and of Willie Wells for that matter). There are a few others with cards who have an outside shot. However, no one else with a card I know of springs to mind as having anything close to a good chance of election.

This was off the top of my head so I'm probably missing some cards. I think its pretty close to complete though. Hope it helps.

Kenny