View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Mike that's very awesome...Great article and a great collection. Congrats.

For some reason, the Saddam card has kinda drawn my interest. How exactly did that come about?
The Saddam is a "custom cut" that I had done back in 2009. Technically, it should be in a blue flip, rather than a red flip. The autograph is from an Iraqi administrative decree that Saddam issued back in the 80's. Before the war, Saddam was an incredibly tough autograph to get. You could usually only find him on official State presentation gifts, such as on presentation cards for gold watches, official state photos, etc. It was not uncommon that his signature would fetch four figures and more. Then, the US Soldiers uncovered several books full of these administrative decrees that were brought back from Iraq as souvenirs. I purchased some from a couple different soldiers, and I had mine translated by a language institute in Dallas, and they are just run of the mill decrees. The custom cut was made by inserting the autograph in between two authentic proset Hussein cards and cutting the window out of one of them. Basically, it's creating a mini-frame job on a card.

Mike