View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default PSA, SGC, GAI - The Authentic Grade

Posted By: James Gallo

Well I would think that SGC felt the card since it was pressed would fall under restoration and therefore would not slab it.

The PSA 1 show in this thread IMO should not be a 1 and should only be authentic.

The difference between a 1 and an authentic is tough sometimes. It really depends on the damage and how it impacts the card. I had 5 1915 Cracker Jacks that were graded in a large group some were 1's and some authentic. When I asked why some were only authentic when they looked just like the 1's the graders agreed and all were put into 1 holders. MY Collins down grade is on of these cards and there is just some of the white boarder missing to the edge, but an otherwise nice VG ish card. I think they should have been 1's as the cards were trimmed or altered just had some dame chipping.

I really like the newer SGC authentic holders that list the defect. To me that is a huge advantage and very important. I think it it near pointless to put a card in an authentic holder without listing why.

There is certainly a difference between a card that has been trimmed or one that has been recolored or otherwise restored. I would not buy a restored card but haves learned to accept certain trimmed cards.

Anyone got a trimmed 1914 CJ Matty to sell??

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.