Thread: PWCC Auction
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
This has been discussed though, BINs sometimes are never looked at..its not uncommon for a an auction price to go higher on ebay then a current BIN..sometimes thats actually when the BIN is snapped up, right after an auction goes higher...ive done the same thing....heck with the way the willie mays rookie cards have gone up, im sure even some of Deans cards waterfront property cards like the Mantle/ Mays were even bought up after some auctions took place immediately thereafter
As others have said, this is one of the huge incentives why folks shill: basically to generate a realized price sold, where people (mistakenly) believe that the market for that card is moving higher. You can be a nonpaying bidder for that item, but it will still show up on VCP and in the items sold list on ebay. You can have a BIN at a lower price than the card you just shilled up, and buyers will eat it up.

Saying that, I don't think all of the recent items on this PWCC auction was the result of shilling. (full disclosure: I have consigned with PWCC in the past, but I did not consign anything in their current auction.) Since I collect Ruth and Gehrig cards, those are the cards that I tend to follow most. Recently, a buyer came to me from ebay and asked for a private sale where he purchased a large chunk of the Ruth cards that I had for sale. He told me that he has started to collect the Ruth Master set. I then noticed by his feedback score that he also won something like 2/3 of the Ruth cards that were sold in the current PWCC auction. Therefore, although he is showing a high bid % w/ PWCC, he is legit.

I think in general, the card market is thin. If you have a couple of deep pocketed buyers who are collecting a set at the same time, the prices for those cards will spike. However, often times, when they finish their set (or they lose focus and decide to sell it) then the prices for that set will drop. So sometimes, it's all about being lucky in having the right buyers just at the time that you want to sell your cards.

Last edited by glchen; 02-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.