View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Default My Stanton collection

I've been collecting Marlins since '93. I have pretty bad luck when it comes to attempts at a player collection...

Jeff Conine - traded
Gary Sheffield - traded
Charles Johnson - traded
Beckett, Cabrera, Logan Morrison...you guessed it - traded

My first high end Stanton purchase was the 2010 Bowman Chrome Topps 100 Superfractor back in 2011. I sold it to pay rent and always regretted it. I bought the 2013 TC Super later just so I could have one, and started picking up a few low-end Stantons here and there. Last year, the 2010 came back up for auction. I ended up rebuying it for $300 less than I sold it for. After that, I picked up a few more. I was hesitant to start ANOTHER serious collection, just to see him end up in NY or St. Louis.

When he resigned, I kicked it up a notch and started buying. A LOT. Five Star (my favorite set) was released around the same time, and he had a knob, barrel, and MLB logo auto. The odds that all got pulled were astronomical, and I knew they wouldn't be cheap. And they weren't - those alone were around $3k.

I don't have everything scanned. I have around 400 total. I have no interest in many of his cards. I'll never buy a sticker auto, and with base cards I'll usually only pick up one or two parallels. No need to have 19 versions of the same card (unless I'm doing the rainbow, of which I have 2 finished)