View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Card is clearly either o/c or m/c on two sides and certainly not a "7." This example illustrates why their grading standards are a joke.
Forgive me for trying to learn something here but I have a question. I assume the card is in pretty great shape otherwise to qualify for a 7 (corners look sharp to me) though the centering is off considerably left to right and (maybe?) top to bottom, too. I say maybe since I don't really collect hoops cards and don't know that set too well.

If we pretend the card is otherwise flawless and centering is the only issue, what grade should it get? More than 3 points off seems unfair. And I prefer it being factored in to the grade rather than calling it, say, an 8 (OC). But I may be in the minority there.

I use (and buy) SGC exclusively because I love the look of the holder but rarely buy high grade cards and have no plans to resell any cards any time soon. In my small experience, I agree that PSA does seem to do better in terms of resale all things being equal. But I started with them when they were in NJ and despite some disappointment on my end with the some grades given, I never disagreed with an SGC ruling either. Maybe I'm foolish but I trust that they're better at it than I am - and made me better at appraising cards as a result. Nothing better than a card that grades BETTER than advertised when you bought it. There are also subtle variations a to what each company lets slide, too. Back damage flies better at PSA, from what I've seen in low grade cards. Point being, there seems to be a bit of a science to it - identifying which place will grade your card based on its flaws.

And now someone much more experienced will hopefully elaborate better than me.

Last edited by Timbegs; 03-18-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: More than three points off