View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Ken Marks

A bit of a Johnny-come-lately, but great items and discussion Brian and Mike. My favorite set! So if I might, a couple of questions for you guys and a couple of other points that may be of some interest.

First a quick bit of background on myself and this set. Probably six years ago Dan Mabey and myself started an effort to build a document that tied the players in the set to the various flavors players they appeared on (by size of box also). And certainly Dan did most of the heavy lifting initially ... and led him to publish a listing on this site and another internet site of the findings. Believe this was back in 2013. Since that time, Dan's time has been extremely limited given all his work with the Ministries that he supports. But I have carried on the effort and perhaps maybe doubling the listing size. While I am not sure a complete listing will ever exist, will continue to chip away. During this time, I have spent time looking at the promotion itself. For example, while we all know that this issue was a "test" set; but what does that mean. Until the last few years, I just assumed it was as simple as the company was making a determination on whether cards on their boxes would increase sales. But it has become clear that their testing was much more complex with the things they were looking during the promotion.

So it is with this background and perhaps gaining more information, I would like to ask you guys about these flats you have or have seen. So Brian if I might (and how have you been since it seems we "talk" every couple of years), I would like to find out more about the cards you talk about in this thread and your book. We certainly have talked a decent amount your Mantle (WONDERFUL PIECE!!). So questions:

Is the second flat you mention you have in this thread the Maris that in your book you talk about and seemed to have bought at that the Philly show in 88 (and which is a Blackberry flavor)? Your book also talks about a large Pascual Strawberry flat and a small T. Davis Strawberry flat you had seen in auctions. I am just wondering if you have other 62 Jell-O boxes where I could learn of the player appearing on the box to correlate with the size/flavor (the four cards discussed about are all presently on my player-to-flavor listing).

For Mike, have a simpler question. I believe the Warwick flat you are talking about is a 63 Jell-O, but just want to make sure. Also might you have knowledge or specimens of other 62 players where you know which flavors they appeared on. And I guess another question whether we have "met" on the internet before (Being I struggle with knowing exactly who is who and all you know if a persons user name for the site, so just wondering.)

I know this is long, but am going to make one observation that may be helpful to you guys in tracking the history of your flats. Within the hobby there are copies of a very old advertisement for 1962 Jell-O flats. I probably have had it for 20 years and looks like it is a copy of a copy of a copy....... It is an ad run by Lew Lipset where he is selling like 85 1962 Jell-O flats. The ad shows player, flavor on, and price he wants. (It does not show size but I would bet a ton they are all small boxes and none pudding, just based on what I have seen over the years). What is interesting is every small box discussed on this thread (Mantle, Maris, Pinson, Davis including the flavor) is on on Lew's ad for sale. I certainly suspect that your flats may have gone back to this sale by Lew. For what it is worth, it is my understanding that Lew made sales of about half these flats then wholesaled the remainder to a collector who has slowly sold them himself over the years.

Going to call it a day with this note, but would also as anyone else reading this, if they know a box flavor a player appeared on (and hopefully a picture) would love to know. Ken Marks bwnrot@aol.com

Last edited by Kenmarks; 04-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.