Thread: Iconic Player?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

On a more serious note, I think it's mostly about someone who might immediately come to mind to a casual fan. Usually by being part of or better still the main player in one of an eras defining moments.

Too hard to compare Ruth to Mantle. I'll just say that in the 20's Ruth was the larger than life character that made people forget how crooked the game was before Landis. (And that's a debate for another thread entirely !)

I don't really see Mantle that way, but for a generation of NY fans he was THE player.
But then, I didn't see him play only getting interested in baseball in 73. So for me it was other players. Aaron especially.

And of course Reggie in the 70's for both Oakland and NY

A great example for the 80's would be Kirk Gibson. One amazing moment that really represents the best of 80's baseball.

Being press friendly doesn't hurt a bit of course.
Jim Rice was amazing for a number of years, but seldom got into the special games. And while he had reason to feel slighted by the press, his general unresponsiveness didn't help things.

I never really liked the hype, but yeah, Jeter has to be up there for the last couple decades. Didn't like the "best player ever" stuff, and he played for NY. but he was hard to really dislike even as a sox fan. I admired him all the more when I heard an interview where he was asked about the Fenway fans getting on him. Great response! Something like "I actually like it, Boston and NY have fans that really know baseball, and they don't get on the average guys like that. So it's sort of an honor, and one that pushes me to play harder against them." Gotta like that a whole lot.

Steve B