View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Default I'm new here--Seeking advice

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Trying to figure out how bickering, personal attacks, and bashing of people for off-topic posts counts as "vintage baseball card discussion". Because I see far more of those three things from some regulars here than I see off-topic posts from new members to the forum.

Derek, I wish you the best of luck with your cards, and was actually looking forward to seeing your scans. My advice to you, at the risk of enraging the masses, would be to spend a little time with the cards. If you have any interest in baseball, there's a world of amazing things to learn that can be a wonderful way to spend time. Check out the Jackie Robinson card your dad gave you - Jackie was one of the most important Americans who ever lived, and you've got a little slice of history there, thanks to your dad. I learned about Jackie Robinson from my grandfather, and I've told my son all the stories my grandfather told. Some day, my son will get Jackie Robinson cards from me, and remember those stories. That's worth way more than whatever I could sell the cards for.

Baseball is magic, and baseball cards are an extension of that magic. You could sell those cards and make a little cash, or you could save them and perhaps become interested in a hobby that, for the most part, is unbelievably enriching and filled with great people.

-Al

Edited to add the very important word "some".