View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
PS, my examples are going to be off if you are a set collector or a type collector or anything like that. I go mainly after mid-grade star and HOF singles.
Actually I think it still applies for set collectors. Now that I've slowly started getting in to vintage card collecting as a hobby, I found that building a set is the most fun, "active" way to enjoy the hobby (for me).

And I agree, the EX to NM grade is great condition. Taking stars and HOF out of the mix for a moment, you can collect most post war sets by spending less than five bucks for a raw common in EX condition. And then you can add most HOF players in that grade for under $500 (yes, I know there are exceptions with the early Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc.).

You just can't get that experience in most pre-war sets. But I do find pre-war cards just an interesting...just mostly out of budget. So I've been eyeballing a few less popular pre war sets (1935 Goudey, 1929 Kashin, etc.). Also, as a Kansas City Royals fan, I'm planning on going after a small subset of t206 cards...the Kansas City Blues (only seven cards, one minor hall of famer).

So yeah, I could save up and spend my entire yearly card budget on one or two nice pre-war cards, or I can spread that money out and actively build a nice post-war set...which lets me spend more time with more cards. So to me, that's more fun!