View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Barry Sloate

While I always hated these concoctions put out by the card manufacturers, you could make an argument that the cut signatures are more valid than the cut up uniforms or bats. At least with an autograph, even though it was cut down from something, you are still getting the full signature (for the sake of this argument let's assume it is real).

But what are you getting when a uniform or bat is cut into a thousand pieces? A square inch of material? A splinter of wood? I was never able to understand what the attraction was. I would love to own a Picasso, certainly never will, but I would have no interest whatsoever in owning a one inch square piece of canvas covered with oil paint that was made available by cutting one of his paintings into a thousand small pieces. I'd rather just go to a museum and spend an afternoon looking at a few real ones. To each his own, but a scrap of something is worthless to me. And I also would have no confidence that the thing was even what it was supposed to be. How would one even authenticate it?

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-23-2010 at 09:53 AM.