View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth Yankee Stadium..need help identifying??

Posted By: davidcycleback

That's him, thanks. I've dealt with him, and he not only knows more than I about bb postcards, but is a good guy.

I beleive that the major graders grade cards that are cataloged in Beckett or Standard Catalog or that can be shown to be legitimate. A woman had one of those 1920 Frederic Foto baseball cards and one of the big graders wouldn't grade it because it wasn't cataloged and they were unfamiliar with it. I sent to the woman a scan of a respected auction house's catalog page from when they sold a Ruth from the set, with their description of the card and history. The woman showed this catalog description to the grader and the graders have graded many of the cards since. So that's how it sometimes work for uncataloged items.

Sometimes the complaint of the submitter is that a grader should know the legitimate if uncataloged cards. But knowing something means having learned it, and sometimes the grader leans it from the collector. Far from a sign of weakness, I'd worry about the PSA grader or MastroNet writer who spent years on the job without learning anything new.