View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 AM

I've been lurking on this board for a few months. Finally had to post because I have a soft spot for oddball football, specifically rookie and prerookie HOF oddball items.

I'm a product of the junk wax era but even as a kid got into vintage football because I loved the history and the low cost compared to baseball. I rediscovered the hobby a couple years ago after a 20-year hiatus. My first task was picking up Staubach, Dorsett, and Randy White rookies since mine were stolen as a kid. (I mowed several lawns and saved my allowance for weeks to get that Staubach.) I quickly acquired a taste for oddball items since many are downright cheap compared to regular issues. My favorite oddball sets and cards that haven't been mentioned yet...

1948 Topps Magic Photos: three rookie-year HOF cards. The misspelled Bednarik is my favorite. I actually like the small size.

1961 Packers Lake to Lake: three HOF prerookies and one rookie-year card. I actually like the simple look. However, except for Adderley, the key cards are prohibitively expensive unless in poor condition. I only have the Adderley.

1964 Wheaties Stamps: three HOF rookies. I really like the simple design with the autos. Also very reasonably priced.

1966 American Oil Stamps: two HOF rookies. I actually kind of love these, though I imagine I don't have much company. The Sayers is a favorite in my collection. I have a single and a couple complete panels. (Not the $1 winner one with Wayne Walker, though.) The Ditka, however, is impossible. I've never seen one. Might be my white whale.

1972 Sunoco Stamps: my absolute favorite oddball set, and maybe my all-time favorite set period. I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. Nine HOF rookies and seven prerookies. I lucked into a cheap Langer update stamp with the tab attached as a BIN on eBay a couple years ago. Another favorite in my collection is the Riggins. Not only does it show Riggo in action, but that's Curley Culp chasing him down. A rookie and prerookie on the same stamp.