View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm sorta with Leon on this one.
Free and cold
free

After that I get picky.

I don't really have favorites, but for a fairly large domestic beer Sam Adams is what I usually buy. As a gag for a friend I once swapped the picture from a 70's football card of Sam Adams the Pats player onto the label, and patched bits of label onto a card.

Us microbrews are another matter, turbo dog is excellent, as is most anything from Gearys. But a lot of the best are very local. Not ignoring the "at that place at that time" effect.

Imports are some of my favorites, I have a weakness for most of the Belgian beers, each one quite different from the others, but nearly all quite high in alchohol. usually 7% or more, sometimes much more. If it says tripel on the bottle I'll give it a try.
for non Belgians
Samichlaus
Aas Bock
Thomas hardys
Traquair
Russkoye - Name changed after Chernobyl to something I don't recall, maybe red star? It's Ukrainian, light ish and needs to be served as cold as possible.

Those are also ones that really stand out, although Samichlaus needs to be 3 years old or more to be really good. Before that, it's just a 15% dark beer with a tendency to be bitter. And it sneaks up on you - Seriously, after 3 don't even consider walking home, you'll feel like you can until you stand up.

Steve B