View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Matt Miller

A little Ripken FF story......

My wife is from CA an took two of my three kids out to spend a long weekend with her parents last September. I decided that I would buy a bunch of junk wax for my 8 year old son and I to rip one night while his mom, brother and sister were in CA. So I picked up 10 different wax boxes of cards, one of which was a 89 Fleer box. So as we sat around and drank root beer floats together, he got into the 89 Fleer box and started ripping packs. I tell him who to keep an eye out for when he rips, and I told him: Griffey, Randy Johnson and Bill Ripken. So as he keeps ripping, he yells that he thinks he's found the Ripken guy. Low and behold it's the FF card. I had never pulled that card in all the 89 I had ripped over the years and my son Jake does. I sent the card to PSA to grade and it came back a 10! It's certainly a card I will never part with for the memories alone.

Incidentally, another box ripped through the course of that night was a 87 Leaf box for $15. He pulled two Maddux RC's from that box. The first had a crease through it, the second looked decent to me. It came back a 10 as well.

Good memories indeed!

Last edited by MBMiller25; 01-02-2014 at 08:06 PM.