View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This one arrived yesterday. I already have a Gomez in my collection. However, I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a vintage version. I hope I didn't make a mistake. If I did I'll be disappointed but not bankrupt It's signed in what appears to be fountain pen ink and I assume it dates to 1942 based on the Health patch on Lefty's sleeve? The style of G in this one is different than what I have seen in more contemporary versions of his signature.

Obtaining vintage autographs is new to me. A vast majority of my collection is comprised of signatures I obtained myself. I recently obtained a 1941 Satchel Paige autographed photo and have since been drawn to vintage signed photographs. However, I have very little knowledge of this area of collecting and don't want to be foolish with my limited resources. I took a risk buying this Gomez without educating myself. Based on eBay sales I see that Gomez isn't a very rare autograph or expensive. How much of a premium is placed on vintage autographs?
Here is a 1935 In-Person Gomez to compare yours too, a decade apart but still a good match

Vintage Autographs for Sale on My Web Site
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935GOMEZ 001.jpg (38.4 KB, 282 views)