View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
Yes...absolutely!

The guy who only won 11 games shouldn't have given up the runs in the situations he did or else he probably would have more wins.

Stats cannot paint an accurate or true picture on how runs were given up. The person with the higher ERA might have given up runs late in games that were already decided. He might have gotten roughed up on a day or two his arm was on fire. ERA doesn't factor in the guy who eats up innings, but gives his team a chance to win every time he takes the ball.

As a coach I take winners over stats guys all day every day. I've had players and teammates who rack up stats but choke in big situations or big games and cost us wins. They can't make the game winning shot or get the big out when it really matters the most. Players and coaches want to be around winners not stats guys.

That makes very little practical sense. Everyone knows you have to score more runs than the other team to win a game. A pitcher who is going to give up less runs, i.e. has a low ERA, is going to put his team in a better situation to win. A guy with a higher ERA means his team has to score more runs to win the games he pitches.