View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Default 1949 Point Shaving Game Basketball Scorebook

Thought I'd share an interesting recent find. I picked up this Spalding Basketball scorebook recently. It has several college games from the NY area as well as a few Pro games. This book was apparently the official book used for those games. The Pro games were at Madison Square Garden and included the NY Knicks, Washington Caps, Rochester Royals and Minneapolis Lakers (with George Mikan). However, it also included some of the games from the 1949 NIT games at the Garden. The really interesting game, as it turns out, is the game between Kentucky and Loyola of Chicago. This is the game that Alex Groza, Ralph Beard and Dale Barnstable fixed with some bookies to shave points. Kentucky went on to lose this game and finished the season 29-2. Two years later when it came to light, Beard and Groza were arrested and also banned for life from the NBA, thus ending the careers of two of the greatest players of their era. Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat that this was the official scorebook that captured that infamous game.

Rob M.

Point Shaving Article.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg