View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Didn't know about waverly's past...

Bought my '60 Yaz and '60 McCovey RCs from him... both came back as PSA 6s... thought the Yaz was better, but I guess I should count my blessings that the card didn't come back as trimmed or altered.

I'm starting to feel like it's not even worth trying to buy raw cards off eBay at this point.

I saw Spence actually bought some cards from waverly as well.
It seems to me like you can't trust buying raw cards that appear to be of higher quality (PSA 7+ maybe?) unless you know the seller. It really creates a cloud over this hobby to me. You have the grading industry with tons of power because they validate the high quality cards that command premium dollars. That premium, in turn, leads some dealers to buy nice cards and doctor them, trying to get some of that cash. That action, in turn, makes the grading industry all the more powerful, as the average collector has a tough time plunking down decently large bucks for a high end card that is not graded.

I don't know if the chicken or the egg came first here, but I'd sure like to know who is in bed with whom in this industry. I am very impressed with you guys who can sniff this stuff out with confidence, but my guess is that those of you who can are in the vast minority.

my eBay auctions