View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
My all-time lineup is going to look a little different, but it's my lineup, so screw it!

1. Joe Morgan, 2B (left)
2. Robin Yount, SS (right)
3. Ted Williams, LF (left)
4. Willie Mays, CF (right)
5. Babe Ruth, P (left)
6. Roberto Clemente, RF (right)
7. Lou Gehrig, 1B (left)
8. Mike Schmidt, 3B (right)
9. Johnny Bench, C (right)

This lineup would be a nightmare to pitch against. While I know that there are better choices (Wagner over Yount, Hornsby over Morgan), I wanted to do something a little different, and have it mix pre-war and modern players together. This is a team I'd love to see, and the drop off from Wagner to Yount in his prime (and Hornsby to Morgan) isn't as great as you might think when their total games are considered.

The top of the order has some great speed and power. Morgan was a walking machine, and Robin Yount was a dead contact hitter. He can hit the ball to any field with power, and he's an extra base machine. Williams in the three spot opens up all kinds of hit-and-run options. A heart of the order with Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Babe Ruth just would be unfair. The bottom four in the lineup are no slouches, either, with five batting titles and eight MVPs between Clemente, Gehrig, Schmidt and Bench.

My main focus was putting together a team with power, speed, and great hitting ability, as well as exceptional defense. The lineup is a strong mix of right and left handed batters. Mays speed and range in center would help cover for one of the team's defensive liabilities in Ted Williams. Clemente and Mays give the outfield two exceptional defenders with great arms, and Clemente backing up Gehrig means that hitters won't dare try for extra bases on hits that get past the Iron Horse. The rest of the infield-Schmidt, Yount and Morgan, are outstanding defensively; range and strong arms on all.

Bill- Your lineup is almost exactly my choices. You always make a good argument for Yount, but I have to have Honus - and I'd have to put Babe in RF with Walter on the bump.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente