View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 04:41 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I think these types of questions are really best answered as 4 questions.

1) Do I think, objectively, in comparison to the prices and values of other athletes, both past and present, that a Derek Jeter autograph at $1000 is a good, or even reasonable deal?

2) Would I buy a Derek Jeter autograph for $1000?

3) Will there be enough people willing to pay Steiner that amount to make it profitable?

4) Do I think Jeter autos will hold their value at that pricing?

My answers
1) No way. I base this on a few things. a) He is not the greatest player ever. b) He is not the greatest player that ever played for his team. 3) IMHO, He is not the greatest player in his generation. To me, he wasn't even the greatest player on the teams he played for, at the time he played (I would take Rivera, personally). He is a HOFer and will be elected most assuredly on the first ballot, but I don't think there is anyway he, or anyone else for that matter, will be ever be a unanimous selection, so that won't change his value. If Ruth, who has been dead for almost 70yrs is $3k for a cut/3x5, I just can't justify $1k for a guy who is only 40ish. For me, Jordan is an exception as he is absolutely in the argument for the greatest BB player of all time and possibly best sports athlete of all time.

2) No, with the rare exception of needing him to complete some multi signed piece. Even then, I would have a very difficult time doing it. In this instance, the same goes for Jordan. While I can see the value more, I would still have a very difficult time spending that much unless it was a multi-signed item, like those USA Olympic Dream Team posters

3) YES. There are plenty of wealthy or upper mid class people who would shell out a one time number like that for an item of their favorite player, either for themselves or as a Christmas gift. Certainly, Jeter is one of the popular players of his generation, so there are plenty of customers for these types of collectibles.

4) NO(Maybe). You can already buy a Jeter item, of almost any type, on ebay, with all the certs, for way less than what Steiner charges. I added maybe, because if Jeter were to pass away very young, and I hope he does not, then his stuff might hold these types of value. If he lives a long and happy life, which I sincerely hope he does, there will be a lot of people with Jeter stuff that will sell for a fraction of what they bought it for.

None of this in any way is meant as a bash on Jeter. He has been a great player worthy of HOF enshrinement without question.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-16-2014 at 04:50 PM.