View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default Any interest in a 1952 Topps Mantle?

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...sensible post! It's PRO-graded. PRO= the bottom of the Barrel in grading services. We KNOW this. PRO graded card buying is Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in a 6-shot revolver. Pro graded cards go for dimes on the dollar for what PSA/SGC/BGS cards go for on the open market because of this fact, and matter of factly cracking a card out of ONE particular service's slab ISN'T a guarantee that ANOTHER particular service it's submitted to won't RED FLAG it, as anybody on this Board who ever cracked an SGC card and gotten it back marked "altered" upon submitting it to PSA has experienced on rare occassion! OF COURSE, the incident of this occurring with PRO graded cards is magnified by a factor of 100! Am I guaranteering that the card will PASS PSA, SGC, or BGS inspection? NO! Did I describe perfectly the visual, physical attributes of the card? YES!
I'll make an interesting offer to all of the Anonymous posters and finger pointers who have and will come forward to post: Let's BOTH put our money and self-indulgent integrity where our mouths are. I'm in for $12,500 CASH (common fact). If you feel that the card should be locked away for all eternity or destroyed...DONE! Just come forward with $6,250 CASH and we BOTH own it. THEN, we can BURN IT, and share in our joint effort of philanthropy.
Even with all the negativity surrounding the card, I've had at least 20 emails from interested parties, both collectors and dealers, who wish to know how much I would like for the card. I have no answer, no idea. Ebay will tell me how much a Pro Graded NM/MT 1952T MM is worth. Interestingly, to this day, no party has come forward and said with all certainty, "I KNOW what was done to that card...here's the procedures that were performed_____".
No disrespect to you whatsoever Scott. Just using your sensible post as a take-off point.