View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Phil Garry

Default Modifications to Vintage Baseball Card Sets' Year(s) of Issue

As everyone on the board knows, there have been a number of threads lately addressing the need to update/correct year(s) of issue for a number of vintage baseball card sets. Eventually each topic will "fall off the radar" as new posts are entered and my question is what will ultimately come out of all of our meaningful discussions and insight regarding each of these sets?

Would everyone agree that the Standard Catalogue of BB Cards put out by Krause Publications and updated each year is the most widely accepted "bible" currently used in the vintage baseball card hobby? If so, the board should make every effort possible to get the pertinent sets' "new" Year(s) of issue to Bob Lemke so that this information can be updated on an annual basis. I believe that it is one of Bob's primary objectives to ensure that the annual catalogue is as accurate and up-to-date as humanly possible.

The second part to this issue pretains to the grading companies, which have a major, major impact on the hobby these days. Each of the three major grading companies maintains an extensive database of pop reports which obviously contain baseball card sets' year(s) of issue. As we continue to discover through extensive research, etc. that some of these issue dates are not accurate, I believe that it is critical for the grading companies to mirror any updates that would make for more accuracy within the hobby. Of course, the question is "how to do this" when so many cards have already been slabbed with "old" year(s) of issue dates and already exist in their databases that way. I guess the two options are to continue using the old dates without making any changes or from "some point in time going forward", a sets' "new" year(s) of issue would be identified on both the grading label as well as the database for pop reports. The main drawback to this would, of course, be that each card in the set would appear as two different line items on their pop report.

How do others feel about this topic and is there a better way to implement the new information that many have worked so hard to uncover?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-16-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling