View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Carmelo,
Nobody accused you of a crime. Reread posts 13, 14, and 15. The three of us suggested that you introduce yourself, because when an anonymous person posts multiple suspicious Ruth signatures it makes us suspicious of them. We don't know you, so we are left to our imaginations. You responded to this perceived insult by hostility which was returned in kind.

Perhaps if you had started with...
Hi all, my name's Carmelo and I'm new here. I came over from GUU as I am starting to look at getting into vintage autos and such. I was looking for Ruth items and came across a couple of weird autos. First one that sold on ebay last month is (inset link and photo) Then I found this (inset link and photo) on the sports collectors daily site. They look identical to me. Any help would be appreciated.

That is a good new member first post asking for help. Some of the same stuff you said, but you left out the name, etc.

Additionally, even if you had posted the initial posts the way you did, if, in post 19, you had said something like...
Well, my name is carmelo and I came over from GUU(insert ID). Been a member over there for about 5yrs and am looking to move into older autographed type stuff. I found them here (insert link) and they looked very strange to me, so I thought I would ask.

Now you said some of the same things, but in a much more defensive way.

The point that we are trying to make to you is that we don't know you, your level of expertise, or your level of passion and respect for the hobby. If you don't introduce yourself, how could we?

What you will find here is that the forgers and scammers that are ruining our hobby really really really piss us off. If someone comes on here and acts in a way that could be suspicious, we will attempt to uncover the truth. Sometimes, that process isn't pretty. The unfortunate truth is that we have had our share of scammers come on and do exactly what you did and then it becomes clear they they were the forger.
Mark I don't know you at all but all I know is that your posts have restored my faith in this forum in the middle of all this madness.

We all aren't the same, I'm a 100% legit guy who responds very aggressively when attacked. But then again I would want to oust anyone looking to scam me or anyone else in my area of expertise (modern era yankees). So I get it, I just was not ready to be on the receiving end