View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Bill Gregory

Jeff Cirillo, who, interestingly enough was my favorite player on the Brewers for several years, was born two years before I was. Darned good pure hitter and a great defensive third baseman. I always felt he got robbed out of a few Gold Gloves, and now the defensive metrics show I was probably right. Ken Caminiti won the 1997 NL Gold Glove at third base with a -1.0 dWAR, while Cirillo didn't get it at third in the AL with a +2.1 dWAR at third (Matt Williams at least had a 1.9 dWAR for the Indians). In 1998, Cirillo had a 1.9 dWAR, but Scott Rolen of the Phillies had a 1.7, and won it. In 2001, Cirillo had a 2.2 dWAR, but Rolen again won it, this time with a 1.2 dWAR. Oh well. Cirillo was a career .296 hitter. He hit .311 in his first 8 seasons, but hit the wall at age 32 when he went to Seattle.

My other choice is Matt Kemp. But I'm a Brewers fan, so Cirillo it is. Cirillo and Kemp both made two All Star Games. The only other player to ever make the All Star Game born on September 23 was Peter Harnisch, one time.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.