View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
"Breaking it in" was more a figure of speech, getting used to their new bats would have been a better description. Our LL has two separate leagues for our age group...the competitive (Dixie) will obviously require the players to use the new bats, however, in the "recreation/non-competitive" league they will still be able to use any bat smaller than 2 5/8.

What is interesting is the reason for this update in bat standards, safety. Maybe I am missing the point, but while using their old bats and new bats during their same BP round, the balls hit with the new bats are definitely coming off the bat with greater velocity. Obviously, you would not expect this from a bat that is engineered to hit as though it is a wood bat.

While this did not pertain to my kids, the bat makers came out with a new requirements for bats in 2011 also. IMO, it seems that these multiple bat makers are pushing these "safer" bats every few years to stimulate sales.

From justbats.com:

What are the key takeaways regarding these new youth baseball bat rules?
In order to maintain the integrity of youth baseball, the USABat Standard will create wood-like performance in youth bats while allowing younger players to use light-weight bats that could not be achieved with wood bats.
AABC, Babe Ruth / Cal Ripken, Dixie, Little League, and PONY will all be affected by the USABat rule change, but USSSA will not. Currently, USSSA Baseball will allow the use of a bat that carries the new USABat stamp (as long as barrel diameter, drop weight, material specifications, etc. match the specific division's requirements).
AAU will vote on whether or not to adopt the USABat Standard in the Fall.
USABat will not have a drop weight limit.
USA Baseball will allow the use of 2 5/8" big barrel bats for all age levels.

What will the USABat Standard change and why?

Similar to the NCAA and NFHS BBCOR Standard that was implemented in 2011, the new USABat Standard will create wood-like performance in youth baseball bats. Or, as USA Baseball's Executive Director / CEO Paul Seiler stated, help "take another step forward in making our game more uniform at the youth level and ensuring the long-term integrity of the game."

Like the NCAA bat performance tests, the USABat Standard is based on the coefficient of restitution from a bat-ball impact. But in order to address the varying levels of play between youth and high school / collegiate players, the USABat test will use different test balls and test speeds to scale the results.

The BBCOR regulation limits bats to a maximum value of .50 in the NFHS / NCAA test. Currently, the maximum value that these new youth bats will be allowed to acheive, or how that value would exactly compare to the trampoline effect achievable with a BBCOR / current youth baseball bat / wood bat, is not known.

But, unlike the -3 length-to-weight ratio restriction that is required for BBCOR bats, USABat will not have a drop weight limit. Instead of requiring the use of wood bats, which are often found with a -8 length-to-weight ratio at the lightest, younger players will still be able to use bats made from light-weight, highly engineered materials.

With the creation of the new standard, players within the affected organizations will also now be allowed to use bats with either a 2 1/4 inch or 2 5/8 inch barrel diameter, as long as they carry the new USABat stamp.
yea from everything i have seen its about safety, i have heard that some bats are pretty bad, (but havent witnessed this in person) with much less power and sound like your hitting a ball with a tin can. I can tell you that the bat i got my son is very good and the ball comes off it well. So im not sure how different this bat is from last years, lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.