View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 08:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My view on modern cards is notoriously jaded but anyway:

Modern cards are common. Grains of sand on the beach. They are also nearly always in top condition. And the following for them is shallow and fickle, chasers of trends. If you are collecting for fun, that's one thing. I love the Dufex cards of the mid-1990s. Doesn't get much more interesting, from a technical and aesthetic perspective. I have a bunch. But they are worth a lot less today than when issued (with a few exceptions). Buying as a collector-investor, IMO you have to either avoid modern trendy items or get in at a per unit cost so low that you won't get hurt when the trend-chasers move on to something else. Pokemon has a fan base for sure but not a long and deep history of collecting that helps protect the downside. It will be volatile, especially since its fan base is largely younger and not a bunch of older men with established finances and nothing better to do. It may get there, but the gyrations before that are going to be vicious, as has been the case with junk wax and shiny crap.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...