View Single Post
Old 10-21-2002, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Texas Tommy / 1913 E-Unc Oaks

Posted By: Glen V

After learning a little about the 1913 E-Unc Oaks from Mark Macrae, I got to wondering… An Oakland candy company advertised the Texas Tommy cards in a 1912 Oaks program. Wouldn’t the cards have come out before 1914? The type 2 cards have blank backs and a look more like 1913 Zeenuts. Should they be considered a different issue, maybe E-Unc? Are the pictures different or are there any other ties to the type 1 cards other than the sub-set of players?

The 1913 Oakland Oaks issue was in an early SCD as a W-Unc issue. Probably made by the same candy company, it should probably be labeled as E-Unc. However a proof(?) Oakland Oaks card exists w/ a Texas Tommy type 2 image on back (though not a player identified in the type 2 set). Would the Oaks issue be a Texas Tommy type 3, or a type 2 minor league issue?

I’ve never seen an Oaks card. The Texas Tommy in the current Lipset auction is the only picture of a type 2 that I’ve seen. Does anyone have any of these? Can you post a picture? Does anyone know how many untrimmed Oaks cards exist out of the 20 in the set?