View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Default Cubs Red Sox World Series

Posted By: Julie

What I meant, in my early post in this column, by "yeah, guys, there really WAS a 1945" was not that you are all too stupid to know it, or to know that it was the last time the Cubs were in the Series, but that--almost all of you not being born for another 20 to 35 years--it's just another happening in the past, like--1908 was the last time the Cubs WON the World Series. Except in '45, there were effectively no baseball cards (because of the war), whereas--all around 1908, there were nice, juicy ones, like Fancraze, Ramley, T206, etc. Moreover, the cards that came out in '47, '48 and '49 can't arguably hold a candle to those I mentioned, and others that followed immediately thereon. So probably to some of you, 1908 is more vivid than 1945!

I was ten years old in 1945, and lived in Chicago, and remember the ears glued to radios, the headlines. Atom bomb? Last years news...nobody took me to a game, but I had probably lost my glasses (which i did whenever I could), so I couldn't have seen anything anyway.